Sunday, March 19, 2017

Villain Ideas

      Since I have decided the film would center around a villain/monster trying to get to the protagonists, I figured it would be important to do some research into movie monsters. On the amazing Pintrest page I always talk about and continue to use, I found an article by NPR on movie monsters. This article discusses two examples in Godzilla and King Kong and explains what makes these monsters so great.

       The article goes on to explain how people love to see destruction, it intrigues us. Also, in Godzilla the director creates a sense of empathy for the monster where you almost feel bad for it. These are the two main components that make a monster (or a villain) amazing. With this in mind I have to begin to craft a villain in my mind that has the capability of causing serious damage while still having a purpose that the audience can understand and empathize with. This also comes full circle to one of the first postings I had in which I discussed the importance of giving characters an overall purpose or goal and now I know this rule should not exclude the villain. Time to get to brainstorming!

No comments:

Post a Comment